Shocking Facts About Steel
Sheet metal may not seem incredibly unique or special - but that couldn’t be further from the truth. It makes up the products that you use every single day. Steel is a low-carbon alloy, and it’s typically made of iron, tin, and carbon. It has the ability to withstand corrosion, heat, and pressure, and it’s one of the most popular metals in fabrication shops, like our custom fabrication shop in Sunrise Beach, MO. Ready to learn some fun facts bout sheet metal and fabrication?
- Almost 69 percent of steel is recycled in North America each year, which is more than paper, aluminum, plastic, and glass COMBINED!
- Did you know that steel is roughly 1,000 times stronger than iron in its purest form? It can also be recycled without loss of strength.
- Steel roofs last more than 50 years while traditional roofs last about 17 years.
- Because steel and iron expand when heated, the Eiffel Tower (1887), is about 6 inches taller in the summer than the winter.
- The first steel-made automobile was produced in 1918. Since then, steel seatbelts are required due to their consistent ability to withstand high-impact crashes.
- Since World War II, the North American steel industry has reduced its energy use by 60 percent, which has contributed to a significant reduction in carbon dioxide generation.
- Steel is the main material used in delivering renewable energy like solar, hydro, and wind power.
- The United States is the third leading producer of steel behind Japan and China.
- 75 percent of all major appliances are comprised of steel.
- The average computer is about 25 percent steel.
- Two-thirds of all canned goods' packaging are made out of steel.
- “8 states produced more than half of all the output from the fabricated metal products industry in 2013.” They include California, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Wisconsin.
- The U.S. Army, Marine Corps, Navy, and Air Force offer career paths in sheet metal and welding. These professionals work on aircraft hangers, landing craft carriers, military-grade equipment, ships, submarines, and tanks.
- Last year, there were more than 58,000 locally owned and operated fab shops in the United States.
- The primary metals most often purchased by consumers include aluminum in bar, tube, sheet, or plate form; hot or cold rolled steel; and stainless steel.
- Only about 3 percent of U.S. welding professionals are women.
metal repaired at the Lake of the Ozarks? Or maybe you have a custom work in mind that needs to be designed and created. Either way, I can help with both! Visit our website, or give us a call. Augello’s Welding looks forward to serving you.
Your Lake of the Ozark’s Welder & Place for All Things Custom!
Office Phone: (573) 207-0285
Cell Phone: (573) 286-9135
Follow Us On: